Thursday, August 1, 2013

Slow Cooker Macaroni, Chicken, Broccoli & Cheese

Usually I bake my macaroni and cheese, but since it's Summer and we don't have great air flow, I decided to try and crock pot it - but adding veggies and protein. Then it's one whole meal. I'm glad I did this. It worked out well, and the family enjoyed it. I could have added more spice and less milk.

Ingredients:
2 chicken breast
1 cup raw broccoli
2 cups penne brown rice pasta (I use Trader Joes)
3 cups milk (I used 4, but 3 is probably better)
2 eggs (optional)
4 cups shredded cheese (I used Gruyere, Swiss, and Cheddar)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 gluten free bread crumbs (I use Glutino)

Cook your chicken in a pan. Salt ans pepper both sides, for taste. Drain and chop. Set aside. In a medium to large mixing bowl, whisk your eggs, then add the kosher salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix well. Add your milk, noodles and broccoli and chicken and cheese. Mix well. Pour in crock pot (4 to 5 qt). Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 4 hours, on high for 1 to 3 hours. Check on it every so often. Pour more milk if needed.




No comments: